Step into the rockpool...

Step into the rockpool... a place to discover what it means to be whole and truly healthy...in every aspect of life possible. Why not aim for incredible, vibrant, ecstatic health? I'm on a journey to find it.

Friday 11 May 2012

Persimmon- get it in ya

So how come I've never heard of a persimmon before? Or ever tasted one?  I'm a bit of a 'local girl' when it comes to my fruit, I like to get things fresh and in season. But when I saw persimmons at the local supermarket for 69c each I was like yeeeewww what are these? I'll give em a go!
I bought two, one for me, one for the hubs, and let them ripen for a few days. Had a sickie from work yesterday (and today) as I have a cold (could even be detoxing?) and decided to tuck into this weird little tomato looking thing. OMG.
Who knew it would be sooo creamy...so gooey! It tasted unhealthy even...too good to be true!! Sweet sweet nectar of the Gods...

Stuff to know about Persimmons:

*They are chineeeeeese
I wanna lick this tree
* They have high levels of dietary fiber (twice that of an apple and more antioxidants) phenolic compounds, potassium, magnesium, calcium, iron and manganese. They are also rich in vitamin C and beta carotene.
* Can reduce the risk of certain heart attacks
*Improves lipid metabolism - the way the body copes with fat!
* Persimmon tree wood is used to make funky traditional japanese and chinese furniture
* They aren't too good for you if you eat them unripe - and taste gross
* Horses like to eat em too
* In Chinese medicine it is thought that persimmons regulate your 'Chi'
* Eat too much? You could get the runs. Eat it cooked? It can stop the runs. 
* Ancient cultures used persimmons to predict how bad the coming winter would be. They could 'read' them by cutting them in half. 
*There are now persimmon growers all over Australia! The bulk of them coming from Queensland. 


I'm so excited to have found a new amazing fruit! This raw journey is opening me up to try new flavours that I'd otherwise have just walked past in the supermarket coz it looked weird. 
If you're an Aussie, to my knowledge, not many people usually eat these fruits. But I'm telling you - GET ONE IN YA! Just make sure it is really orangey/reddish and feels gooey to touch.


No comments:

Post a Comment